Forums: Open Discussion (Thread #36472)

Chat - protocols (2015-02-13 19:04 by jess #75481)

Hi

I find this port really useful, thanks.

One thing it seems to have an issue with (not sure if this applies to Thunderbird too) is that chat disconnects regularly (Facebook and Google).

So I have started using Instantbird (1.3 still supports leopard). This has lots of other protocols too.

This may be a ridiculously hard request, in which case don't bother to consider it.

Would it be possible to use Instantbirds' protocol modules, instead of those from Thunderbird?

Thanks

Reply to #75481×

You can not use Wiki syntax
You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Chat - protocols (2015-02-22 01:05 by t_mrc-ct #75556)

Thank you for using Tenfourbird.

Instantbird and Mozilla Thunderbird has been integrated into a single repository.
But Thunderbird support few chat protocols. That's because Instantbird is using libpurple to support a lot of chat protocols.

Additional Chat Protocols for Thunderbird addon is using libpurple. But it does not work on Tenfourbird... (Need rebuilding)
https://addons.mozilla.org/En-uS/thunderbird/addon/additional-chat-protocols/

I will test Yahoo Messenger and Odnoklassniki support on next release.

Regards.

[Reply To Message #75481]
> Hi
>
> I find this port really useful, thanks.
>
> One thing it seems to have an issue with (not sure if this applies to Thunderbird too) is that chat disconnects regularly (Facebook and Google).
>
> So I have started using Instantbird (1.3 still supports leopard). This has lots of other protocols too.
>
> This may be a ridiculously hard request, in which case don't bother to consider it.
>
> Would it be possible to use Instantbirds' protocol modules, instead of those from Thunderbird?
>
> Thanks
Reply to #75481

Reply to #75556×

You are not logged in. To discriminate your posts from the rest, you need to pick a nickname. (The uniqueness of nickname is not reserved. It is possible that someone else could use the exactly same nickname. If you want assurance of your identity, you are recommended to login before posting.) Login

Re: Chat - protocols (2015-03-09 01:23 by Jess #75683)

> I will test Yahoo Messenger and Odnoklassniki support on next release.

Thanks, is this using libpurple?

Reply to #75556

Reply to #75683×

Re: Chat - protocols (2015-03-14 23:06 by t_mrc-ct #75733)

No. These protocols are already included in Mozilla Thunderbird.
But these are disabled. I enabled these experimentally.

libpurple is included in the following addon. But it need some fix for PPC Mac support..

Additional Chat Protocols for Thunderbird
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/additional-chat-protocols/

[Reply To Message #75683]
> > I will test Yahoo Messenger and Odnoklassniki support on next release.
>
> Thanks, is this using libpurple?
>

Reply to #75683

Reply to #75733×

Re: Chat - protocols (2015-05-27 18:42 by jess_hampshire #76234)

Hi

> No. These protocols are already included in Mozilla Thunderbird.
> But these are disabled. I enabled these experimentally.

I just tried them on 31.7.0

Twitter seems fine (Never tried it before, on an IM client)

Yahoo seems fine. (A quick test)

However, the facebook and gtalk client still disconnect, making it unusable. (The result is gtalk is usually offline, while facebook reconnects, usually).

At present I shall remain on instantbird 1.3 (which has the added bonus of ICQ, for the one chat per year or so it gets used for :) )

But I shall leave twitter running on 104Bird.

Thanks, your work is very much appreciated.

Reply to #75733

Reply to #76234×

Re: Chat - protocols (2015-08-24 21:35 by t_mrc-ct #76785)

Thank you for testing.

Hmm... Facebook and gtalk protocols are XMPP base.
Yahoo and Twitter are Not XMPP base.

It looks XMPP protocols are not working fine....

I have not been working on chat part. But there are possibility that v38 codebase improved chat code.

if v38.* release becomes stable please test it.
Reply to #76234

Reply to #76785×